Friday, March 26, 2010

John Landis was an actor in Battle for the Planet of the Apes

John Landis, from http://www.andyfilm.com/landis.html :

Well there were quite a few humans in that one, actually! The best experience I had in that movie was when we were at the Malibu Ranch, the Fox ranch which is now a public park. It’s where they made “M*A*S*H,” with the spectacular Malibu canyons.

Anyway, we’re at the Ranch and it’s hot, and these guys would get in their Ape make-up and be in it all day. So you’d never really know them as anything but apes!

I was sitting there having lunch with this guy who I’ll never forget was reading this book -- it was “Catch 22" in a paperback. He was an orangutan and he didn’t speak much. So we had lunch, and when lunch was finished, the assistant director comes over to this orangutan and says, “Mr. Huston, we’re ready for you now”!

And I was like, “WAS THAT JOHN HUSTON??” (laughs). And I remember thinking, “Holy Shit!!” I actually got to know him well quite a bit later, but then it was then it quite something. I’d say “I just had lunch with John Huston and I didn’t know it!” (laughs)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home